I think so...
India is not what I expected it to be, in a good way mostly. The weather is average 95'F with humidity, the cows here eat garbage, the trash gets thrown out back then burnt, the food is incredible, the kids have hearts of gold and the colors are amazing. Women are not allowed to touch the men ie hugging, high fives ect. That is something I am kinda struggling with because I love through physical touch. I know it will get better as the weeks go on but right now I get yelled at for touching them. We must wear the traditional clothing of the country so for girls that is leggings that go to our ankles with a punjabi that goes to our knees along with a scarf. It does get a bit hot and a little annoying with the scarf, I won't lie... We can only where our "american" clothes inside our rooms. We have bucket showers with cold to warm water, our toilet is American thank goodness no squatty potties.
We have been working with the kids in the school and we went to the slums for a few hours. The kids are so amazing I love them all!!! Katherine and I prayed for two women in the slums, for their families. We also cleaned cuts and scrapes for the kids.
So as for the title of this post, I am getting more tan and my hair is getting more dark. Therefore members of my team are calling me puerto rican when in fact I am Ukraine. Most of them said they thought I was Mexican when they first met me. It's funny how your heritage can come out in different climates and in different cultures. India is definitely not for everyone! I never imagined myself coming to this country, in fact my brother said I was not allowed to come because he was afraid for my safety. Now I'm here and it feels like home for now. When we were at the market the other day, we made friends with some of the sellers and they were teaching us Hindi. Anyways all the Indian men came up to me and asked where I was from and I said USA they were all like you look Indian like you are from here! It's so funny to be on a foreign country where they think you're a local. It's a gift that I love. Seriously though I knew this before coming to India that this would happen, nothing better than to embrace it!
As a team we are doing really well with bonding regardless of the separation we have a challenge to try to love without the physical. I feel Josh and I are leading well, we are very good at communication with each other and in our group! Prayer points:
- to love without the physical
- health and protection from lice, malaria, ect.
- for gods heart for this nation
- to dive into the culture
- continued communication with Josh and I
- for our team to not hold back!
Much love and many blessings...
Promise Yourself
ReplyDeleteTo be so strong that nothing
can disturb your peace of mind.
To talk health, happiness, and prosperity
to every person you meet.
To make all your friends feel
that there is something in them
To look at the sunny side of everything
and make your optimism come true.
To think only the best, to work only for the best,
and to expect only the best.
To be just as enthusiastic about the success of others
as you are about your own.
To forget the mistakes of the past
and press on to the greater achievements of the future.
To wear a cheerful countenance at all times
and give every living creature you meet a smile.
To give so much time to the improvement of yourself
that you have no time to criticize others.
To be too large for worry, too noble for anger, too strong for fear,
and too happy to permit the presence of trouble.
To think well of yourself and to proclaim this fact to the world,
not in loud words but great deeds.
To live in faith that the whole world is on your side
so long as you are true to the best that is in you.