Monday, August 9, 2010
Q-Town!
Back from the amazing Queenstown! What a week, I don’t even know where to start… Last Saturday we headed on a 6 hour drive to Queenstown. It’s amazing how although you’re in New Zealand it seems like you pass through so many states because the landscape is all different and the climates are different. Up in the mountains it’s colder with snow, down by the lake it’s nice and sunny and warm, on the longs stretches it’s real boring because it’s flat land. Needless to say it was a great trip in the car with amazing conversations and laughter.
When we arrived and after unloading all the food and luggage we started dinner. Now this kitchen is pretty much the most amazing kitchen I’ve been in so far. They had 2 steam ovens, which if you’re like me and don’t know what they are that’s alright. They cook food in about half the time and hold it without it drying out. Amazing! Oh and they have touch screens, they are self cleaning, they have a probe that tells you when the food is done and they are $20,000/oven. I definitely enjoyed that oven and the time we had to spend with it!
Queenstown is one of the most touristy towns in NZ if not the most. It’s a very selfish town because it’s all about what you can get and how much you can get. Although it is a beautiful town with plenty to do. It’s right on a lake in between the mountains. All the lakes are a turquoise blue color because of the snow and ice that is in them, they are so cold!
Sunday night we went to the Lighthouse church in Wanaka. We got to hang out with a few pro snowboarders like Kelly Clark and Andy Finch. Kelly came out to Queenstown to do ministry with us and pray for us. When she was speaking it was amazing because I didn’t see a pro snowboarder I saw a woman of God. It was a great encouragement for the students to see that you can snowboard and be a man/woman of God sharing the gospel.
Joel parker was the speaker this past week who brought a surf board instead of a snowboard because he has always wanted to surf in NZ. Who does that in the middle of winter? He spoke on evangelism. He reminded me of my old youth pastor with the way he spoke and how he spoke. I love how he doesn’t care how crazy people think he looks he just does it anyway. That’s what it’s about, you can’t care what people think. They are seeing you do something for the Lord.
On Wednesday night I came down with the flu. I was sharing a room with a girl that already had it and I was taking care of her. After a few nights of fever and coughing I’m on the up rise now. Andrew took care of us both, such a good dad he is.
After an amazing week of encouragement and rest I am glad to be home sleeping in my own bed with a bathroom right down the hall. Over all it was an awesome week that I can say I really needed off base to get some perspective on things. When you live in community you need to get away for a few days just to reconnect with reality. Sometimes it feels like a dream and other times it feels like routine. It’s been about 3 months now that I’ve been here in this amazing place. The whole time has been awesome and I've learned so much. I can't wait for the next months to come to see what God is going to do and where he is going to lead me!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment