So I'm going to let you guys in on a secret that is well kept here in the YWAM Whanau (f-a-now is how you pronounce that word). It means family. Every year twice a year we have a Whanau Hui which means family gathering. Where all the leaders and staff of bases around New Zealand get together for 3-4 days. We pray, catch up, cry tears of joy and sadness, dance, eat and look ahead to where we are headed this year. For me since I'm doing the house of prayer internship this month it was really more of a catch up to go and see everyone. It felt like a massive family reunion. I loved every minute of it. Even if you don't know someone by the end of it you're family.
I've realized that in the last two and a half years of my involvement in YWAM New Zealand I have come to know some really amazing people. I don't know how much some of you know about the history of New Zealand and YWAM but it was one of the first bases established by Loren Cunningham way back when YWAM first started. It is a special place in all of our hearts, for those of us that have served in this great organization for years on end. What I love though is that it really doesn't matter what "rank" you hold, it matters about who you are and what you bring. All the elders that were there this weekend I had a chance to sit with most of them and receive the wisdom they have. As well I was able to make new friends and catch up with the old ones.
We had the privilege of John Dawson come and speak to us about Aotearoa (New Zealand) and the history in which the base was established. I learned more about Aotearoa this weekend than in the last few years. I feel so connected to this land in such a special way. How it is so rich with passions and dreams of the future. Being in Tauranga has been so great these past few months. Although admittedly I do miss the south island somewhat. This Hui taught me that it's about my generation rising up to take the challenge and walk on the paths that have been paved by our mothers & fathers & grandparents in YWAM. It's our chance to show what God is doing.
We had a night when all the younger generation or my generation of under 35's knelt in the middle of the room. We needed to lay down our dreams and passions for this country. Then we had the elders come and roar over us. They roared like lions. Saying yes, we believe in you and what you have in your heart. The amount of joy that came from that was incredible. We danced and danced for the Lord. I love dancing for the Lord. In all the worship times I had with my amazing snowboarders dancing and the amount of Joy it brought all of us was something really special!
Saying goodbye to everyone today was like saying goodbye to family. I will miss everyone and since I'm not directly on a base I don't know when I'll see them again. There are some truly amazing people here that are full of wisdom and have stories to tell. I remember John saying that we all have a story to tell, and right now we are writing it. As well Ben & Helen Applegate were here to share their story. They were the first ones on the mercy ships. Loren Cunningham wrote about them in his book "Is that really you God?" They live in Napier New Zealand. They are in their eighties and still as sharp as ever! It's amazing and inspiring to see the pioneers that had a calling upon their lives and listened to that calling.
I love Aotearoa and all it's beauty. I feel like my seed is planted deep in the land here. I don't know the future plans for myself but I do know that this country is my home. I feel truly blessed to be here in this time and place. We have family wherever we go. Thinking back two years ago when I came here not knowing anyone to now where I have a big family. It's amazing the relationships you make and the people you meet. I love how you can just pick up where you left off with everyone. Sure there are a few people I didn't get to catch up with but I know we will someday. That's the beauty in whanau, they love you no matter what!
I've realized that in the last two and a half years of my involvement in YWAM New Zealand I have come to know some really amazing people. I don't know how much some of you know about the history of New Zealand and YWAM but it was one of the first bases established by Loren Cunningham way back when YWAM first started. It is a special place in all of our hearts, for those of us that have served in this great organization for years on end. What I love though is that it really doesn't matter what "rank" you hold, it matters about who you are and what you bring. All the elders that were there this weekend I had a chance to sit with most of them and receive the wisdom they have. As well I was able to make new friends and catch up with the old ones.
We had the privilege of John Dawson come and speak to us about Aotearoa (New Zealand) and the history in which the base was established. I learned more about Aotearoa this weekend than in the last few years. I feel so connected to this land in such a special way. How it is so rich with passions and dreams of the future. Being in Tauranga has been so great these past few months. Although admittedly I do miss the south island somewhat. This Hui taught me that it's about my generation rising up to take the challenge and walk on the paths that have been paved by our mothers & fathers & grandparents in YWAM. It's our chance to show what God is doing.
We had a night when all the younger generation or my generation of under 35's knelt in the middle of the room. We needed to lay down our dreams and passions for this country. Then we had the elders come and roar over us. They roared like lions. Saying yes, we believe in you and what you have in your heart. The amount of joy that came from that was incredible. We danced and danced for the Lord. I love dancing for the Lord. In all the worship times I had with my amazing snowboarders dancing and the amount of Joy it brought all of us was something really special!
Saying goodbye to everyone today was like saying goodbye to family. I will miss everyone and since I'm not directly on a base I don't know when I'll see them again. There are some truly amazing people here that are full of wisdom and have stories to tell. I remember John saying that we all have a story to tell, and right now we are writing it. As well Ben & Helen Applegate were here to share their story. They were the first ones on the mercy ships. Loren Cunningham wrote about them in his book "Is that really you God?" They live in Napier New Zealand. They are in their eighties and still as sharp as ever! It's amazing and inspiring to see the pioneers that had a calling upon their lives and listened to that calling.
I love Aotearoa and all it's beauty. I feel like my seed is planted deep in the land here. I don't know the future plans for myself but I do know that this country is my home. I feel truly blessed to be here in this time and place. We have family wherever we go. Thinking back two years ago when I came here not knowing anyone to now where I have a big family. It's amazing the relationships you make and the people you meet. I love how you can just pick up where you left off with everyone. Sure there are a few people I didn't get to catch up with but I know we will someday. That's the beauty in whanau, they love you no matter what!
No comments:
Post a Comment